Old-time Tenor that Really Sings
Tenor guitars are making a comeback, and if you’re interested in adding the timeless voice of one of these guitars to your music, then Sweetwater has the acoustic instrument for you. The Ibanez PFT2 4-string tenor guitar combines a popular vintage tuning with a comfortable yet expressive mini dreadnought body made from time-tested tonewoods. With its mahogany back and sides and spruce top, the PFT2 gives you a rich warmth that’s a prefect complement to the airiness of its tenor timbre. Add to that an elegant rosette and a bone nut with matching compensated saddle, and the PFT2 is sure to please.
Ibanez PFT2 Tenor Acoustic Guitar at a Glance:
- Tenor tuning is a favorite for folk, jazz, country, and other playing styles
- Mahogany topped with Sitka spruce is a singer-songwriter’s favorite tonewood combo
- Mini dreadnought body style provides ample acoustic projection
Tenor tuning is a favorite for folk, jazz, country, and other playing styles
By far, the most striking thing about the Ibanez PFT2 acoustic guitar is its tenor setup. Introduced in the 1920s as a way to provide unique chord voicings to complement more common instruments such as standard guitars, the tenor guitar offers the same C, G, D, A fifths tuning that you’d find on a viola, mandola, or tenor banjo. Not only does this tuning allows the PFT2 to both to fill out rhythm parts and to take the lead, without taking up too much sonic space – and it’s even a wonderful choice for soloists!
Mahogany topped with Sitka spruce is a singer-songwriter’s favorite tonewood combo
Of the three most common acoustic guitar body tonewoods (rosewood, mahogany, and maple), mahogany is easily the darkest and warmest choice. Although “dark” may not sound attractive at first, mahogany bodied guitars (especially ones with Sitka spruce tops like the PFT2) have always been extremely popular among singer-songwriters, because of the sonic space they leave for your voice and the way they blend with rosewood acoustics. What’s more, the harmonically complex sound of mahogany is a perfect complement to the tighter voicing of this tenor guitar and adds density to otherwise spartan chords.
Mini dreadnought body style provides ample acoustic projection
The dreadnought body shape has been one of the most popular acoustic guitar body styles ever since it hit the guitar-playing world. Why? Because back in the day, guitarists had to relay solely on the natural projection of their instruments, and the dreadnought body style provided plenty of sound-slinging power. The PFT2’s mini dreadnought body balances the size of the instrument with plenty of punch and projection. The result is a comfortable instrument that’s ideal onstage or in the studio.
Ibanez PFT2 Tenor Acoustic Guitar Features:
- A traditional tenor acoustic guitar that anyone can afford
- C, G, D, A fifths tuning provides movable chords and unique voicings that complement other instruments
- Mini dreadnought body offers plenty of natural acoustic projection
- A perfect instrument for rhythm, lead, and solo playing across a wide range of musical styles
- Mahogany body topped with Sitka spruce provides a delightfully warm and complex voice
- Classy touches include white binding, an elegant 2-ring rosette, and real bone nut/compensated saddle
Get traditional tenor tone and style with this Ibanez PFT2 acoustic guitar!